MB We're Undergoing a Facelift; Check Back for Updates Soon!

Who and what are driving the growth in plastic surgery?

plastic surgeryThere are two different types of people driving the growth in plastic surgery procedures, and they’re on different ends of the age spectrum:

  • Young women have procedures in hopes of slowing down or stopping the aging process.
  • Baby boomers are trying to reverse the aging process.

Both groups are often choosing fillers and other non-surgical procedures, with facelifts still growing in popularity in the older population.

Cosmetic procedures in the U.S. rose 11 percent in 2016

The American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASPS) also reports that much of that growth can be attributed to younger patients seeking to keep their youthful appearance and baby boomers seeking to stay competitive in the workplace by appearing to be younger. Social media has added another source of pressure for women and men to enhance their appearance and thwart the effects of aging.

The three most popular procedures in 2016

Last year, plastic surgeons performed about 1 million of the top three most popular procedures:

  1. Liposuction
  2. Breast augmentation
  3. Tummy tuck

Surgical or non-surgical. Which was the most popular?

Surgical cosmetic procedures made up 56% of the total last year. Non-surgical procedures, such as injectable fillers and Botox, made up the remaining 44% of the total.

Plastic surgery has become mainstream

Cosmetic procedures are increasingly acceptable to younger generations, with many people believing it’s the same as taking care of their health. And recent surveys report that plastic surgery and non-surgical cosmetic procedures can boost self-esteem and confidence, which can translate into improved mental and physical health.

Two of the fastest growing procedures may surprise you

Number one is breast augmentation using the patient’s fat, rather than silicone or saline implants. The second fastest growing plastic surgery procedure is labiaplasty, performed to reduce the size of a woman’s external genitalia.

Making improvements from top to bottom

Whether you want to smooth the wrinkles in your forehead of reducing the size of your thighs, there’s a procedure that could be right for you. Start with a consultation appointment by calling 212.308.4600 or 516.587.0456.

 

 

 

No comments yet.

Leave a Reply