After pregnancy, some women bounce back through diet and exercise alone, while in some cases the effects of pregnancy require the help of a plastic surgeon.
What is a Mommy Makeover?
A mommy makeover refers to restoring a woman’s body to how she looked before pregnancy and childbirth. This may include surgical procedure(s) such as a breast lift and tummy tuck as well nonsurgical procedures such as laser treatments for stretch marks. A mommy makeover may include one or several of the following procedures:
- Breast lift (also know as mastopexy) – Breast lift surgery restores breast shape and can elevate and reshape the nipple areola complex.
- Breast augmentation – Many women say that after breast feeding their breasts have deflated, with a loss of volume, in particular in the upper pole of the breast. They want to restore the fullness and firmness that they had before pregnancy.
- Augmentation Mastopexy – Surgery that restores both breast volume and breast shape. Excess skin and tissue (where indicated) are removed from the lower part of the breast. The nipple areolar complex is elevated to a more centrally located position.
- Body sculpting – Using a variety of surgical and nonsurgical cosmetic procedures it is possible to restore body shape, contour, and skin tightness that resulted from weight gain/weight loss, hormonal changes, pregnancy or breastfeeding.
- Abdominoplasty or tummy tuck – Restores a youthful and shapely abdomen by tightening underlying muscles, removing excess skin and fat that resulted from pregnancy and associated weight gain and hormonal changes.
- Liposuction – Eliminates unwanted pockets of fat from almost any area of the body.
- Labiaplasty –Modification and repair of the labia minora and labia majora, which stretches during childbirth.
Am I a Good Candidate for a Mommy Makeover?
If you are a non-smoking, healthy woman at a stabilized weight (within a normal range for your height), who has become dissatisfied with her appearance following pregnancy and childbirth you may be a good candidate for a mommy makeover. Because a mommy makeover may include several surgical procedures, it is recommended only to undergo a mommy makeover after you are reasonably certain that you’re not going to have additional pregnancies.
What are the Advantages of a Mommy Makeover?
A mommy makeover can not only make you look better but can also have significant psychosocial benefits resulting in increased feelings of attractiveness, improved self-esteem and self-confidence. Since a mommy makeover may include several surgical procedures, these procedures can be planned in advance maximizing patient safety, combining those procedures that can safely be performed in the same operative setting.